How moving overseas affects Age Pension

Wayne is moving to the Philippines to live and work and is seeking advice on how that will affect his eligibility to receive an Australian Age Pension. 

Wayne: I am moving to the Philippines to live and start a small business with my wife. I am currently aged 54 and not eligible for the Age Pension. My question is will I be eligible to go straight on to the Age Pension at 65 or will I have to reside in Australia for two years before I can receive an Age Pension? 

A: As the Philippines does not have an International Social Security Agreement with Australia, you will need to return to Australia to claim an Age Pension and remain here for two years before returning to the Philippines.

Do you have a question for our Centrelink experts?

Related articles:
Citizenship and the pension
The residency rules
Returning to Australia