The author of this recipe, Izy Hossack, claims that this is the best chocolate cake you’ll ever make. I love a recipe that’s low on mess and high on flavour and this recipe certainly delivers. Everything is mixed in one pot and poured straight into the cake tin. Beware to bake it carefully and keep it gooey, and once it’s cooked, it just needs a dusting of icing sugar. What could be simpler than that?
Cooking time: 1 hour
Equipment: 18cm round cake tin (greased and lined)
- 135g salted butter
- 55g cocoa powder (a heaped half cup)
- 350g sugar (1 2/3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 110g plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line, grease and flour a deep 18cm cake tin.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little, then stir in the rest of the ingredients. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 20 to 30 minutes – it should be set around the edges but still gooey in the middle.
- Let the cake cool in its tin for about 20 minutes, then run a blunt knife around the inside edge of the tin to loosen it. Turn out onto a wire rack, dust with icing sugar and serve warm.
Recipe taken from Top With Cinnamon, by Izy Hossack
Izy Hossack is an 18-year-old with a passion for bittersweet chocolate, lattes, pecans and maple syrup. She is also the author of the award-winning blog Top with Cinnamon, where she shares her love of cooking a multitude of culinary delights, ranging from the indulgent to the wholesome and hearty. In Top With Cinnamon, Izy shares her favourite sweet and savoury recipes, perfect for lazy weekends, speedy suppers and impromptu gatherings.
You can purchase Top With Cinnamon at cooked.com.
Published by Hardie Grant