Inexpensive and super tasty, these Mexican Refried Beans go well served any time of the day. Serve over a bed of rice, warmed tortillas and top with an egg if so desired.
Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander, stems and leaves divided, chopped
- 1 small jar of roasted peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 x 400 g tins of beans drained, such as cannellini, kidney, black
- 4 large eggs (optional)
- 1 lime
Heat the oil over medium heat in a large frypan. Fry the garlic, chilli and coriander stalks for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden.
Add the beans along with the peppers, seasoning to taste. Over a low heat, cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crispy.
Poach or fry the eggs (optional).
Serve beans with the fresh coriander and lime, topping with optional egg.