Not only is this meal simple to make and super tasty, it’s also quick to clean up. Surely, that’s enough reason to start cooking this One-pot Sausage and Bean Casserole.
Ingredients (serves four)
- 500g pork sausages
- 100g bacon lardons
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1/2 celeriac, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Pinch of dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 100ml red wine
- 600ml chicken stock
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 200g cabbage, cut into strips
- 400g tin cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Shallow fry the sausages and bacon lardons in a non-stick pan, then remove the sausages. Add the onions and cook for 10 minutes, then add the celeriac and increase the heat. Stir frequently to stop the onions from burning.
Next, add the garlic, herbs and tomato puree and stir until combined. Pour in the red wine and scrap all the bits off the bottom of the pan to add more flavour. Stir in the stock, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
Bring to a simmer and reduce the heat. Add the sausages and season to taste. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 20 minutes.
Add the cabbage and cook for 10 minutes, then add the beans and cook for a further five minutes.
Serve hot with crusty bread if desired.