Today’s Baked Zucchini Sticks are a different way to savour the goodness of zucchini – and they’re ideal as a snack, appetiser or side dish that can be enjoyed on their own or with a dipping sauce.
Serves: Four (can easily be modified for less)
Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup wholemeal breadcrumbs, seasoned
- 2 tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 large egg whites, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- cooking spray
- 4 medium zucchinis, ends trimmed
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce for dipping (optional)
Preheat oven to 220°C. In a sealed bag, place breadcrumbs, cheese and garlic powder and shake well. Beat egg whites in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Spray baking paper with cooking spray and set aside.
Dip zucchini sticks into egg whites then into the breadcrumb and cheese mixture. Do a few at a time to thoroughly coat, then gently shake off excess crumbs. Place the zucchini sticks in a single layer onto the baking paper and spray more cooking spray on top. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with the marinara dipping sauce.