This week’s recipe comes from the book Delicious Entertaining by Peter Howard. It’s full of low GI, low fat, tasty food ideas which are suitable for type 2 Diabetics. And each recipe has detailed nutritional information to empower you to take a healthier path.
500g stewed beef
1 tablespoon light olive oil
100g onion, roughly chopped
120g celery, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons good Indian curry powder
2 cups salt-reduced beef stock
4 cups cooked basmati rice
1 large tomato, chopped, cooked and hot
· First, make the beef curry. Ensure all fat is removed from the meat, then cut into even pieces – 2cm diced cubes.
· Heat oil and lightly brown the beef – remove from pan and keep warm. Add the onion and celery to the pot in which you cooked the beef. Stir over high heat for two minutes; stir in the curry powder and cook for another minute.
· Return the beef and coat with the curry/onion mixture. Pour in the stock and simmer, as slowly as possible, for 1–1.5 hours or until the beef is tender. Add tomato and more stock, if necessary, 20 minutes before end of cooking.
· Boil the basmati rice as per directions on the packet. It normally takes only eight to ten minutes.
· Serve the curry over the hot, cooked Basmati rice. Add a dollop of low-fat yogurt on top as an accompaniment.