For a quick, tasty and cheap meal that won’t have you spending all your time in the kitchen, try Drew’s Haloumi and Sausage Skewers.
3 thick beef sausages
1/2 green capsicum, cut into 8 pieces
8 cherry tomatoes
125g block haloumi, cut into 8 cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon basil pesto
1. Cook sausages in a saucepan of simmering water, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove and cool for 5 minutes. Cut each sausage into four even pieces.
2. To make dressing, combine all ingredients in a jug and mix well.
3. Alternating with each, thread three sausage pieces and two pieces each of capsicum, tomatoes and haloumi onto 12 wooden skewers.
4. Heat a large oiled frying pan over high heat. Add skewers.
Cook in batches, brushing with dressing and turning occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until browned and heated through.
5. Arrange haloumi, sausage and pesto skewers on baby rocket leaves and top with shaved parmesan to serve.