The simple, delicious recipes in the Reverse Your Diabetes Cookbook encourage and help you to make and sustain a permanent lifestyle change.
(Makes one large mug muffin, two smaller ones or 12 mini muffins)
- 1 egg
- knob of butter, melted, or 2 teaspoons coconut or olive oil
- 50g ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 apple or pear or 75g strawberries (to make pink berry muffins)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and/or a pinch of ground cinnamon or mixed spice
1. Mix the egg and fat together in a bowl. Add the ground almonds, baking powder, the grated fruit or strawberries, the vanilla extract and spice and mix well. Spoon the mixture into one or two microwaveable mugs. Microwave on full power for two minutes or until cooked through.
2. Alternatively, to cook them in the oven, generously grease and line the mugs or use paper-lined or silicone muffin moulds. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F/gas mark 6 and bake for 20–25 minutes.
3. You can also divide the mixture between 12 mini muffin cases and bake for 10–12 minutes. Check the muffins are cooked through by piercing them with a skewer. If it comes out clean, they are done; if it is wet, put them back into the oven for another few minutes.
4. To make nutty seeded muffins, swap out the grated fruit or strawberries for 1/2 courgette, coarsely grated, 1 tablespoon mixed seeds, a pinch of salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper, 1 tablespoon finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes, plus a teaspoon of the oil from the jar and 6 walnut halves, roughly chopped, and make as above.
5. To make Greek feta muffins, swap out the grated fruit or strawberries for 1 tablespoon chopped sun-dried or fresh tomatoes, 1/2 courgette, coarsely grated, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 2 x 15g (1/2 oz) cubes of feta, 5 cherry tomatoes, halved, salt and freshly ground black pepper, and make as above.
The Reverse Your Diabetes Cookbook by Katie and Giancarlo Caldesi is all about how to reverse the progress of type 2 diabetes, lose weight and bring your blood sugar down to a normal level.
– With PA
If you enjoy our content, don’t keep it to yourself. Share our free eNews with your friends and encourage them to sign up.