This delicious combination of aromatic spices, wonderful vegetables and nutritious chicken will have your tastebuds tingling.
Time: 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon rice bran or olive oil
- 400g lean chicken tenderloins, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 300g tomatoes, finely chopped
- 150g zucchini, finely chopped
- 150g carrot, finely chopped
- 320g drained and rinsed tinned lentils
- 1 litre salt-reduced chicken stock
- 150g silverbeet leaves, white stalks removed, shredded
- lime wedges, to serve
- Almond Sprinkle
- 120g slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup coriander sprigs
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
Heat the rice bran or olive oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the chicken, turmeric, garam masala, ginger, garlic and tomato, and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until the chicken is golden and the tomato has collapsed.
Add the zucchini, carrot, lentils and stock. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until the lentils are mushy and the stock has reduced by two-thirds. Stir in the silverbeet until wilted. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
To make the almond sprinkle, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
Ladle the dahl into shallow bowls, top with the almond sprinkle and serve with lime wedges.
Recipe taken from CSIRO Low-Carb Every Day, by Professor Grant Brinkworth and Penny Taylor
The CSIRO Low-Carb Diet is based on strong scientific research that has successfully helped Australians lose weight and improve their overall health. Accessible, affordable and achievable, this is a fully researched approach to better eating and improved health from Australia’s peak science organisation.
You can buy CSIRO Low-Carb Every Day at Macmillan.com.au
Published by Pan Macmillan Australia