Finding salad a trifle boring? Try this Spicy Chicken Salad with the refreshing taste of cucumber and mint to get your tastebuds tingling.
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 8 boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Salad to serve
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 200g vermicelli noodles
- 2 cucumbers, halved and thinly sliced
- Small handful of fresh mint leaves
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cashew nuts, crushed
- 1/4 red capsicum, thinly sliced
Whisk together the fish sauce, pepper, garlic, chillies and sugar in a bowl. Put the chicken in a separate bowl and pour over half the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Set the remaining marinade aside.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium to high heat. Add the chicken, in two batches, and cook for three minutes on each side, or until it is cooked through. Once cool, slice the chicken.
While the chicken is cooking, add the lime juice and sugar to the remaining marinade. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. This forms the dressing for the salad.
Pour boiling water over the vermicelli and leave for a minute or so until soft. Drain under cold water, place in a large bowl and add the cucumber, mint, spring onions and cashews. Add the dressing, toss well and serve with the sliced chicken on top.