Who doesn’t love a taco? Yes, they may be one of the more challenging foods to get in your mouth, but these Hawaiian Tacos will certainly make it worth your while.
Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 440g can pineapple pieces in juice
- 1/2 long red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 brown onion, finely chopped
- 250g pork or beef mince
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 mini flour or corn tortillas
- 1 gem lettuce, leaves separated
Drain the pineapple and set the juice aside. Finely dice the pineapple and, in a bowl, mix it with chilli and coriander and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion, stirring occasionally until softened (about five minutes). Add the mince and stir, breaking up the lumps. Cook for five minutes, then add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the sugar, tomato sauce and pineapple juice, and season to taste.
Cook for five minutes, or until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice.
Heat the tortillas in the microwave or a pan, following the directions on the packet. Divide the lettuce, mince mixture and pineapple salsa between the tortillas and serve.