Time: 25 minutes
Healthy and easy to make, this vegetarian dish is full of flavour. With rice and spinach, it’s hearty enough for dinner.
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Olive oil spray
- 400g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cups long grain basmati rice, rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup raisins or sultanas
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated, juiced
- 50g baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup plain, unsalted roasted cashews
- Cracked black pepper, to season
Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cumin, spray lightly with oil and cook, stirring for five minutes. Increase heat to medium, add the mushrooms, spray lightly with oil again and cook for a further five minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat in the mushrooms. Pour over the stock and water, add the thyme and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, without lifting the lid for 12 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the raisins or sultanas, lemon rind and juice and stir with a fork to distribute. Cover and stand for five minutes. Stir through the spinach and cashews, season with black pepper and serve.