Try this tasty vegetarian dish for a light lunch or serve with crusty bread and a green salad for dinner. Made with eggplant and mushrooms, this makes for a hearty, meat-free dish.
Ingredients (makes four pies)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and diced
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, shredded
- 200g penne pasta
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup grated cheese
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease four individual ramekins.
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion and garlic until soft. Add the eggplant and mushrooms and cook for five minutes.
- Stir in the wine and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and paste to the mixture and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the basil.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Once cooked, drain and add to the tomato and vegetable mixture with the egg and cheese.
- Spoon into the ramekins, top with puff pastry and brush with egg or milk.
- Cut a small slit in each, place on an oven tray and bake for 15 minutes.