This Asparagus and Citrus Salad, served with an orange vinaigrette, is a tasty side dish which only takes 15 minutes to make.
- 2 bunches fresh asparagus, trimmed of woody stems
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 yellow capsicum, finely sliced
- 2 oranges segmented and juice retained for vinaigrette
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Cracked black pepper to taste
Trip the asparagus and place in a shallow dish. Cover with boiling water and rest for five minutes. If the asparagus is thick this may need to be repeated to ensure asparagus is cooked through. Drain and cut into three pieces, and place on a platter.
Combine the remaining salad ingredients and scatter over the asparagus.
Combine the salad dressing ingredients and shake to combine. Serve over the salad. Chill until required.
Lisa Haddon is a qualified home economist, food stylist, recipe developer and food consultant. She operates her own catering and event management business, Aussie Food Fairies, and has done for over 20 years.
If you have any questions about this recipe, you can email Lisa with your query.
Or visit the Beatty Avenue Post Office & General Store, 15 Beatty Avenue Armadale Victoria, to try Lisa’s cooking for yourself.