Eating to control diabetes can be a struggle, coming up with new recipes and watching what’s in your food can be time consuming and dull. This Tasty Tabouli Salad, taken from our reviewed book, is a great staple which can be served alone, or with Steamed Halibut.
– 1 medium Spanish onion
– 3 bunches parsley
– 1 bunch mint
– 4 large tomatoes
– 2 medium Lebanese cucumbers
– 4 spring onions
– 1/4 cup dry bulgur wheat, soaked in water for 10 minutes
– 2 lemons, juice and rind of one lemon
– ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
– Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Chop the Spanish onion very finely and mix well with salt and pepper.
2. Wash all vegetables and herbs and finely chop and mix with onion.
3. Add the soaked bulgur wheat to the vegetables.
4. Add the lemon juice and rind and olive oil and mix well.
5. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
P.S. This is great with grilled meat, chicken, fish or pork.
You can find this recipe and many more in the book Diabetes and the Metabolic Syndrome, Written by Dr Nasseem Michael Malouf and published by New Holland.
If you are interested in finding out more about the book and purchasing it, visit the YOURLifeChoices Bookshop!
– 2 pieces of Halibut
– Grated peel and juice of one lemon
– 1 clove of garlic, chopped
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 1 tablespoon oregano, chopped
– 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
– ½ onion, chopped
– ½ green capsicum, chopped
– 1 tomato, chopped
Steam the halibut and set aside to rest. Into a measuring cup, pour the olive oil and add the parsley, oregano and garlic. Let this mixture sit for about 15 minutes. Pour about half the oil onto the bottom of a flat casserole pan and place the fish on top. Now mix the remaining ingredients (apart from lemon juice and oil) and place the mixture on top of the fish. Drizzle the remaining lemon juice and oil on top. Cover and bake for half an hour in the oven on 180’c.