The flavours of Thailand are easy to replicate in this simple to prepare Thai Beef Salad. For variety, throw in some carrot sticks or chopped nuts.
- 250g fillet or rump steak, quickly pan-fried and left to rest & cool, then sliced finely
- 4 leaves iceberg lettuce, shredded
- One small tomato, sliced to quarters
- One small Lebanese cucumber, sliced
- Half small red onion, finely chopped
- Handful sweet baby corn spears
- Handful of snap peas
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Dessertspoon fish oil
- ½ cup lemon or lime juice
- Teaspoon chopped chili (or sambal oelek, chopped chili in a jar)
- Tablespoon chopped mint
- Tablespoon chopped coriander
- Teaspoon sugar
- Salt & pepper
Pre-heat pan, add teaspoon olive oil, when sizzling, panfry the steak over high heat, two minutes each side, then leave to cool, covered. Slice finely with sharp knife.
Wash and prepare salad ingredients as listed above. Place in bowl with lettuce on bottom, other ingredients on top, steak slices last.
Mix salad ingredients, pour over salad and steak, toss well, enjoy while still cold.
A delicious snack for the hot weather – feel free to vary ingredients, from steak to roast chicken pieces, or throw in some carrot sticks or chopped nuts for extra variety.
Try with a crisp white wine – or perhaps a chilled rose