This delicious savoury tomato stew will deliver the taste of Italy with a flavour-packed, pasta-free punch!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large ripe tomatoes – peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- 1 1/4 cups bread, crusts cut off and torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup pecorino cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
Heat the oil and sauté the garlic and onion. Add tomatoes, stock, wine, salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the bread and simmer for another two minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and basil. Let the porridge rest for an hour. Stir in the vinegar and serve at room temperature with a decent drizzle of olive oil.