Drew shares a free software update which allows you to open ‘.docx’ files which are created by users of new versions of Microsoft Word.
There is nothing more annoying than receiving a document from a friend which you can’t open due to running an older version of Microsoft Office products. This has happened to many of us on regular occasions where our Microsoft 2003, Word 2002 or even Word 2000 is not compatible with the new updated version of Microsoft which creates ‘.docx’ or ‘.docm’ files instead of .doc (another attempt by Microsoft to make us buy their new products). Luckily, Microsoft saw the light and released an update which will mean you can open these documents when you receive them.
How do you install this update?
– Click the following link to the Microsoft website.
– Click on ‘Download’
– When a window pops up, click the option ‘Save File’.
– Depending on the program you are using, save the file in a folder you can find.
– Now open this folder and find the file you just downloaded.
– Double left click the file to open the installer.
– Click the ‘Run’ button
– At the bottom left click the Box that is asking you to ‘accept the terms and conditions’ (you can read them if you would like to)
– Click ‘continue’ at the bottom right
– The installer should start, let this run until installed, this may take a few minutes.
You have now installed it!
Please note this update will also work for Microsoft Excel documents which save the file as .xlsx