Urgent food recall issued after hepatitis outbreak
The NSW Food Authority is advising consumers who may have purchased salted or pickled clam products from Koryo Food Co. or Byul Mi Kim Chi to destroy any remaining product or return it for a refund.
Consumers should not consume these products.
Koryo Food Co. and Byul Mi Kim Chi have recalled these products due to a potential link with hepatitis A from salted or pickled clams imported from South Korea. Authorities in South Korea recently issued an advisory warning consumers in that country to avoid certain types of salted or pickled clams, due to links with hepatitis A.
NSW Food Authority CEO, Lisa Szabo said testing was underway on a number of products but full results may take a number of weeks.
“Although a contamination has not yet been confirmed, we have advised the companies of a potential link to eight cases of hepatitis A in NSW, and they have both undertaken a recall of the product,” Dr Szabo said.
“We want to ensure all consumers who may have these products are aware of the possible link between the product and hepatitis A.
“While the affected products have been recalled from participating retailers, consumers may still have product they have already purchased in their fridges.”
Australian grown clams are not implicated in this outbreak.
Food products contaminated with hepatitis A virus may cause illness if consumed. Any consumers concerned about their health should seek medical advice and should return the product to the place of purchase for a full refund.
Hepatitis A is a viral infection of the liver and is usually spread by consuming contaminated food or water or by direct contact with an infected person.
If you have consumed the affected product and are experiencing any symptoms of hepatitis A: fever, nausea, lack of appetite, abdominal pain, followed by dark urine, pale stools and jaundice (yellowing of the eyeballs and skin), please see your doctor for testing and treatment advice.
Anyone who has been previously vaccinated for hepatitis A is considered not at risk of infection.