Woman's best friends felled by fouled dog food
Several reports of family dogs falling ill has led to an Australian pet food brand being pulled off the shelves.
One Perth woman said her two golden retrievers became sick after eating Black Hawk Pet Care’s grain-free salmon variety, Yahoo7 reported.
“Probably for about two days on the food, they both had really bad diarrhoea, and then blood in their poo,” said the woman identified only as ‘Rach’.
“So we took them to the vet … and I said, ‘something’s telling me it was the food they’re on’, as it’s the only thing that had changed for them.
“The vet said it would be best for me to put them on boiled chicken and rice for a while, and whenever it started to clear up, start reintroducing the food.”
Rach followed the vet’s advice but said the same symptoms reappeared almost immediately after reintroducing the same brand into the dogs’ diet.
Sean Duggan, chief executive officer of Masterpet, the parent company of Black Hawk, confirmed the brand has ceased production of the salmon product, and quarantined all remaining stock while it investigated.
“We have recently become aware of a small number of dogs suffering symptoms of an upset tummy. We take these reports very seriously,” he said in a statement.
He said the company recently broadened its network of suppliers of salmon meal, and the additional supplier had been through “extensive testing” and passed its high quality standards.
“All tests to date have come back well within normal ranges. We are continuing to test to ensure we can identify the issue as soon as possible.”
Has your pet ever fallen ill because of contaminated food?