Canada’s new visa rules

Canada has made changes to its tourist entry process, so June is keen to know if she needs a visa to when she visits her family. In Travel SOS this week, we clarify the new requirements.


Q. June
I am planning a trip to Canada to visit family over there. I’ve been many times before and never needed a visa. However, I believe the rules have changed. Is it correct that I now need one and if so, how do I apply?


A. There have been changes to Canada’s immigration rules but the good news is, that if you have an Australian passport, you don’t need a visa. You do, however, need an Electronic Travel Authority (eTA). This is similar to the system operated by the USA and should be a relatively straightforward process.


The eTA costs C$7, which, thanks to dollar parity, is about AU$7 and you can, as the name suggests, apply online.


It is recommended that you apply before booking your flights just in case you encounter any difficulties, but you must have details of your intended travel plans before doing so.


You should receive confirmation of your eTA within minutes, but in some instances, it may take several days to process.


For full details of the process, why not watch this short video?



You can find out more by visiting


Related articles:
Canada’s birthday gift to you
Top five reasons to visit Canada

Written by Debbie McTaggart

Leave a Reply

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings

48 hours in Kakadu

Are supplements a sham?