With over 2000 wineries dotted around Australia’s wine regions there are plenty of choices to visit and sample some of the finest whites and reds on offer. Andrea has uncovered some of the best, which not only present the opportunity to sample and purchase first-rate wine, but also include fine dining, scenic tours, special events and art displays in some of the most spectacular locations in Australia.
Best known for red wines which can be drunk immediately, the wineries of South Australia are plentiful, so make sure that you have a designated driver.
- Penfolds Magill Estate, this 100 year old winery is home to Australia’s best known wine – the legendary Grange
- Grant Burge, well known for its full-bodied reds
- Seppeltsfield, one of Australia’s oldest wineries, you can sample its signature wine, the 100 year old Para Tawny
- Annie’s Lane, treat yourself to their beautiful full-flavoured Shiraz
- D’Arenberg, offering a wide range of red, white, fortified and port wines
New South Wales
The mixed climate of NSW means that it produces a full range of wines; white, red and sparkling. Confined to a small area, a weekend in the wineries is definitely doable.
- Audrey Wilkinson, enjoy the stunning views while sampling their wines
- McWilliams Mount Pleasant, winner of 2014 Gourmet Traveller Best Large Cellar Door
Click NEXT to see the best wineries on offer in Victoria, Tasmania and Western Australia.
The cooler climate of Victoria means that it produces some of the best white wines and light Pinot Noirs in Australia.
- Paringa Estate, spend an afternoon at the Paringa Estate Restaurant enjoying an imaginative menu paired with its acclaimed wines
- Montalto Vineyard and Olive Grove, perfect for a Sunday afternoon lunch and glass of wine after strolling around the sculpture garden
- De Bortoli, sample De Bortoli’s award-winning sweet white Noble One Botrytis Semillon
- Tarrawarra Estate, specialises in Pinot Noir and Chardonnay varietals
Tasmania’s wineries are home to some of the best sparkling varieties produced in Australia, so if you’re looking for something bubbly, head to the Apple Isle.
- Josef Chromy Wines, a stunning location to experience superb Tasmanian wines and fine cuisine made with fresh local produce
- Frogmore Creek, enjoy the stunning water views while sampling the premium wines available from the cellar door
Home to the full-bodied red, WA has an abundance of wineries which produce not only a large ready-to-drink selection, but also the opportunity to sample and save something for a special occasion.
- Leeuwin Estate, view the unique collection of contemporary Australian Art commissioned for Leeuwins Art Series labels
- Voyager Estate, try the Girt By Sea Cabernet Merlot
Have you visited any wineries around Australia which you think should be included on the list? Why not share your recommendations with our readers.