How many of these make-or-break travel tips do you already know?
In the least bragging way possible I was on my first plane at less than the age of one. Since then, I’ve made it my mission (okay, it just happened this way) to make every travel mistake possible so you don’t have to.
Here are 11 tips that have changed the way I travel and, I hope, will do the same for you.
1. Check all times, dates and bookings, not once or twice, but AT LEAST three times. I can’t even count the number of times I have booked the wrong flight/hotel/transfer/[insert anything else here].
2. Do your research. Don’t rush out and book any aspect of a trip unless you’ve spent some time searching what transport and accommodation options are available. If you’re unsure on where to stay or go, seek out a trusted site that can provide this insight for you.
3. Do all your washing well in advance of your trip. Packing (or wearing) wet clothes is not a good start or in any way fun.
4. Pack early and remove often. By putting everything you’re thinking of taking into a bag you will subconsciously think about what you’re taking more and can make better choices, such as, say, removing half of what you have in there if you’re anything like me.
5. Don’t forget to think about transfers! There’s nothing worse than arriving in a foreign place and suddenly realising you have no choice but to jump in a cab (if that is indeed even an option). Your future self will thank you for looking into and pre-organising transfers, be that a bus or private chauffeur.
6. Key local phrases come in handy. Also, if locals see you at least making an effort they are much more receptive to helping you, even if you are murdering their language.
7. Have an idea of what you want to do at your destination. While travel is about going with the flow and relaxing, in my experience. I always get the most out of a new place when I’ve done some research and gone armed with even a vague idea or small list of what I’d like to do. Plus it gives you something about which to get excited!
8. Get over jet lag. As in just get over the whole concept of it. Honestly, the only way to realistically beat it in my opinion is to drink enough water to sink a ship (you know what I mean!).
9. Pack your carry on or day bag right. This will literally make or break your flight/car ride/train trip/day. Read my previous thoughts on this matter, with these 10 things to always carry on.
10. Pack snacks. This may not sound that important. But it is. When you’re flight’s been delayed or you find yourself in the middle of no where with a rumbling stomach and no local currency, your muesli bar will have never looked or tasted so good.
11. And sneakers. I think that one is pretty self-explanatory …
Ok so that was 11, but I could literally keep going to 101. What do you think? Would you like to hear more? I’d love to hear about your top travel hacks that have changed the way you take your trips.
Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free
- Receive our daily enewsletter
- Enter competitions
- Comment on articles