How many of these train journeys have you taken?
Never has the saying ‘always take the scenic route’ been so true as when it comes to train travel. As the magic and prestige of airline travel continue to diminish, travelling by train looks more and more appealing.
With airports often far away from cities and increasingly precious time wasters, travelling by train allows you to see parts of the countryside or world you wouldn’t otherwise experience. There’s proof that the journey is as important as the destination, with the following 10 of the most spectacular journeys in the world:
- The Trans-Siberian Railway, Moscow to China
- The Rocky Mountaineer, Vancouver to Banff
- Tokyo Shinkansen, Tokyo to Kyoto
- The Indian Pacific, Sydney to Perth
- Belmond Hiram Bingham, Cusco to Machu Picchu (image credit: Luxurytrainclub.com)
- Rovos Rail’s Namibia Safari, Pretoria to Namibia
- Glacier Express, Zermatt to St Mortiz
- Thailand’s Death Railway, Bangkok to Nam Tok (image credit: Thailandblog.nl)
- Tren a las Nubes (Train to the Clouds), Salta to Polvorilla, Argentina (image credit: Opportunities Today)
- Maharajas Express, Delhi to Jaipur (image credit: nikhilchandra.in)
How many of these train trips have you been on? Do you have another one to add to the list?
Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free
- Receive our daily enewsletter
- Enter competitions
- Comment on articles