There is absolutely no reason to wait for friends or family to travel, as there are many countries where travelling alone is both safe and enjoyable. Travelling on your own means that you are able to do exactly what you want, when you want, without making any compromises for a travel companion. If you’re wondering where is best to go, here are the top 10 picks of destinations you may wish to consider and what they have to offer:
- New Zealand – whilst parts of New Zealand have recently been hit by earthquakes, rest assured, NZ is still a top place to tour. The friendly locals are only too happy to stop and have a chat, and you won’t ever feel lonely when travelling here.
- Norway – jump aboard one of the many steamers which sail the Hurtigruten coastline and share your sea stories with fellow travellers.
- Switzerland – perfect if your reason for travelling solo is to get away from it all. Grab a pair of comfy walking boots and head into the Alps, or spend time relaxing on the picturesque shores of Lake Geneva.
- Costa Rica –just the best destination for those solo travellers with a sense of adventure. Book a stay in one of the adventure lodges and choose from the many day trips available via your hosts.
- Austria – a comprehensive rail network makes getting around this small country easy and affordable.
- Vietnam – life in Vietnam is colourful, if a little crazy, but if the hustle and bustle gets too much, you can escape to the many coastal paradises which are easily accessible. Vietnam is super affordable too.
- Chile – people in Chile tend to smile a lot and are more than willing to share their way of life with visitors. You’ll arrive a tourist and depart a friend.
- Japan – with so much to see and do, as well as being a completely different culture to what most of us are used to, feeling lonely in Japan just isn’t possible.
- Sweden – the Swedes love to spend time outdoors, so hop on a bike and explore Stockholm, or if you’re a little more adventurous, try a spot of sea kayaking.
- Indonesia – just a short and affordable flight from Australia, Bali offers the chance to escape for a while, practice a little yoga and be pampered – lovely!
Have you travelled alone much? Where is the best place you’ve visited solo?