Telling Centrelink about travel

Clayton receives the disability support pension and wants to know the rules around overseas travel.


Q. Clayton
I know when you are on the disability support pension, you are allowed 28 days overseas travel in any 12-month period, but my question is: do people have to inform Centrelink whenever they go overseas, even if it is under 28 days in any 12-month period? I believe immigration informs Centrelink of anyone on welfare going overseas anyway.

A. You are correct, the Immigration Department will advise Centrelink when you leave and return to Australia, so you do not need to inform it of any travel plans that fall under the 28 days in 12 months rule.

If you have reached your age pension eligibility age, it may be beneficial to switch to the Age Pension as then you will be able to travel overseas for longer if required, and you won’t need to inform Centrelink of any travel plans under six weeks.

The easiest way to tell Centrelink about your travel plans is using your Centrelink online account through the myGov portal.

If you are uncomfortable using the online portal, you can visit a Centrelink service centre or call the Older Australians line on 132 300.

If you haven’t already, register for an online account through myGov before you leave Australia. This will allow you to access your letters and other services online while you are away.

If you enjoy our content, don’t keep it to yourself. Share our free eNews with your friends and encourage them to sign up.

Related articles:
Pension boost unlikely to help many
Jack’s deeming rate dilemma
‘Why was my pension cut?’

Disclaimer: All content on YourLifeChoices website is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It has been prepared with due care but no guarantees are provided for the ongoing accuracy or relevance. Before making a decision based on this information, you should consider its appropriateness in regard to your own circumstances. You should seek professional advice from a financial planner, lawyer or tax agent in relation to any aspects that affect your financial and legal circumstances.

Written by Ben


Pension boost is unlikely to help many older Australians

Freedom of Information documents reveal the change to deeming rates is insignificant.

Centrelink Q&A: Deeming rate dilemma

Jack wants to know which of his investments may be exempt from deeming rates.

‘Why has my pension payment been reduced?’

Max's pension has been cut from $574 a fortnight to just $220, and he wants to know why.