Travel checklist: people to notify before you travel

Who should you notify before you travel overseas?

Happy female tourist waving goodbye from car window with map

So, you’re making arrangements to travel overseas: you’ve booked flights, arranged accommodation and converted cash to the local currency. But before you zip up your suitcase and leave it all behind, inform these people of your departure.

Neighbours, friends, relatives

Chances are you’ve been boasting about your upcoming trip the past few months, so your family, friends and relatives already know you’ll be away. It’s a wise idea to provide some or all of these people with your travel itinerary in case a problem arises, either at home or overseas. In addition, try to leave a photocopy of your passport and flight information with someone you trust, such as a relative.

Australian Government

Before you leave, register your travel on the Smart Traveller government website. Doing this will help the Australian Government locate you if a crisis occurs in the country you’re visiting. You can also sign up to receive travel warnings and advice about the region in which you’re travelling.

Mobile phone network provider

Contacting your mobile service provider before you leave could help you avoid a hefty phone bill when you return. Check to see what your data allowance is (it often advisable to switch data roaming off on your handset and just connect to wifi when overseas). However, you might be better off seeing if your mobile provider has an international plan that works for you.

Australia Post

If you’re going to be away for longer than a week, you can sign up to Australia Post’s Mail Hold service, which keeps your mail secure while you’re gone and then delivers it when you’re back. Doing this not only keeps your mail safe but also avoids making your home look like no one’s home, which can make it prone to being burgled.

Banks and credit card companies

It’s worth making a phone call to your bank and credit card company to let them know that your accounts and credit cards will be in use overseas. Both banks and credit card companies keep a close eye on unusual activity outside of your home country, and may they choose to freeze your account if they suspect fraud.

Health insurance provider

As well as taking out travel insurance, check to see what your private health insurer will cover you for in the case that you require medical attention while overseas. Your provider can also advise you on any health check-ups and vaccinations you may need to have.

Can you think of anyone else that you would notify of your travel plans?



    To make a comment, please register or login
    6th Apr 2016
    Good advice, I always do the above. Did you know, if you are on a mobile phone contract purchasing your device, that Virgin lets you suspend payments for up to three months per annum? The time then gets added on at the end of the contract. A brilliant idea I'm making use of when going overseas, it's much easier and cheaper to get a local sim card there than using roaming.
    6th Apr 2016
    If you have any sort of private health, there is no provision to cover you outside Australia. This is covered by the travel insurance you purchase. Before you go overseas, all you need to do is to suspend your membership from the day after you leave, then when you arrive home, take/provide your boarding pass/es to your health insurer and apply for resumption of membership.

    6th Apr 2016
    Some travel insurance is also provided by your credit cards if you book your trip by certain eligible credit cards

    6th Apr 2016
    Centrelink, as well, if you are receiving a social security payment from another reciprocal country.
    7th Apr 2016
    thanks for the great tips ladies and gentsxo
    19th Apr 2016
    I always suspend my gym membership too, not sure if Foxtel allow you to suspend their service, not likely if Rupert has any say in it ....

    Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free

    • Receive our daily enewsletter
    • Enter competitions
    • Comment on articles