Accessing Grandchildren

Q. My daughter and son in law have denied me access to their children, my grandchildren. What are my rights to have access to my grandchildren and if there are any rights, how do I enforce them?



A. Hi Anna

How distressing for you to be denied access to your grandchildren. You do have rights of access to your grandchildren under the Family Law Act. Applications must be made through the Family Court and you can access their website from the following link.


Before applying to the court, you may wish to take legal advice so as to ascertain exactly what you are entitled to request. You can access free legal advice at a Community Legal Centre. For more information on your nearest centre, click the link below.

We hope this helps and you’re reunited with your grandchildren soon.