Advocacy Services

An advocate is someone who stands beside you and works and speaks solely on your behalf, and at your direction. Rights of Older People is an Australian Department of Health and Ageing website with information about the nationwide network of advocacy services, and about the ways that advocacy services can assist older people (or their representatives). There are also links to all state and territory websites.
Go there

Australian Capital Territory:
ACT Disability, Aged and Carers’ Advocacy Service (ADACAS).
Go there

Phone (02) 6242 5060 or TTY (02) 6242 5065

New South Wales:
Aged-Care Rights Services. Advice and assistance to people 55 years and over who live in or plan to live in supported accommodation, such as retirement villages, serviced apartments, hostels, nursing homes and boarding houses.
Go there

Phone 02) 9281 3600
Freecall 1800 424 079.

Combined Pensioners and Superannuants Association of NSW (CPSA). A not-for-profit peak consumer advocacy body in NSW for pensioners and older people on low-incomes.
Go there

Phone 02 9281 3588 or Freecall 1800 451 488 or TTY 02 9281 3893

Northern Territory:
Aged and Disability Rights Team.
Go there

Phone (08) 8982 1111 or Freecall 1800 812 953

Alice Springs:
Aged Care Advocacy Service Inc. CentaCare NT
Go there

Phone (08) 8953 3019 or Freecall 1800 354 550

Queensland Advocacy Incorporated (QAI) is an independent, community-based systems advocacy and legal advocacy organisation for people with disability in Queensland, Australia.
Go there

Queensland Aged and Disability Advocacy Inc (QADA) supports older people’ rights in Residential Aged Care, Community Aged Care Packages (CACPs) and Home and Community Care (HACC) services.
Go there
Phone 3637 6000 or Freecall 1800 700 600

South Australia: The Aged Rights Advocacy Service (ARAS) offers a free, confidential and independent service to older people (or their representatives) who are:

  • Receiving community based services
  • Living in Commonwealth subsidised aged care facilities
  • Receiving community aged care packages
  • At risk of, or are, experiencing abuse.

Go there
Phone (08) 8232 5377 or Freecall 1800 802 030

Welfare Rights Centre (SA) Inc. Committed to the provision of information, assistance and advocacy for people reliant on the social security system.
Go there
Phone (08) 8226 4123.

Advocacy Tasmania Inc.
Phone (03) 6224 2240 or Freecall 1800 005 131

Residential Care Rights Service. RCR offers a free, confidential and independent service to older people (or their representatives) who are receiving a Commonwealth subsidised aged care service in Victoria.
Go there
Phone (03) 9602 3066 or Freecall 1800 133 312

Western Australia:
AdvoCare. Advocacy to protect the rights of people living in residential aged care facilities or receiving Home and Community Care Services.
Go there

Phone (08) 9221 8599 or Freecall 1800 655 566.