Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT)

Assessment Teams (Aged Care Assessment Service(ACAS) in Victoria) can help people obtain a range of Commonwealth funded services so they can continue living in their own home, or enter a residential aged care facility, such as those previously known as a nursing home or hostel. They can help you to get residential care, either high or low care, a Community Aged Care Package (CACP), access to the Extended Aged Care at Home (EACH) program, refer you to community care services, or help you arrange short term respite care in a residential setting.

An ACAT is normally based at a hospital, geriatric centre or community centre. You can be seen at a hospital or at home. An ACAT might include a doctor, nurse, social worker, occupational therapist, physiotherapist or other health worker. Find out more about on ACATs, including a list of ACATs by state/territory and related matters.

You can go to an ACAT directly or you can get a referral from your doctor, health centre or hospital. Commonwealth Carelink Centres will also know ACATs in your area.

There is no charge for seeing an ACAT.