Sometimes just the description of a destination, or a story set in a faraway land can inspire us to pack our bags and set off on an adventure. There have been many inspirational travel books written over the years, set in many different places, several of which have been made into successful movies.
Our favourites include –
- A Passage to India by E. M. Forster
- The Talented Mr Ripley by Patricia Highsmith (set in Italy)
- A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby (set in Afghanistan)
- On the Road by Jack Kerovuac (set in the United States, from New York City to California, and Mexico).
- The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemmingway (set in Spain and France)
- Out of Africa, a memoir by Isak Dinesen
- Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson
- Eat Pray Love by American author Elizabeth Gilbert
- Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
- The Beach by Alex Garland (set in Thailand and London)
- Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck (set in the United States)
- In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson (set in Australia)
Do you have a favourite travel book that inspired you to travel to a particular place?