Salads don’t have to be boring. Today’s Roasted Beetroot Salad certainly isn’t …
Salads don’t have to be boring. Need proof? Well today’s Roasted Beetroot Salad is packed with so much flavour you’ll be begging for seconds.
Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 1kg red beets, tops removed and scrubbed
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or safflower oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 green apple, peeled and chopped
- 100g fresh goat cheese, coarsely crumbled
- 2 cups rocket or sprouts
- handful of walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 180°C. Place beets in a baking dish just large enough to hold them in a single layer. Cover with enough water to come three quarters of the way up sides of beets. Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with grapeseed oil. Cover with foil and bake for about 1 hour, until tender. When just cool enough to handle, remove skins, and cut into quarter-inch slices. Transfer beets to a large bowl.
To make the dressing, mix together honey, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Reserve about 1/4 cup for serving. Toss the beets in the rest of the dressing, until coated.
Arrange the beets on a serving platter and add the apple, goat cheese, sprouts/rocket and walnuts (if using). Drizzle with reserved dressing and serve.
Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free
- Receive our daily enewsletter
- Enter competitions
- Comment on articles