Carer relationship determines size of payment

The type of relationship you have with your carer will decide what they are paid.

husband carer

Not all Centrelink carer payments are created equal. The type of relationship the carer has with the person they are caring for will determine the size of the payment.

If your spouse is your carer, the amount of money he or she can claim will depend on their income and to what extent they have had to give up work in order to care for you.

There are two main benefits available to people who have a carer arrangement: Carer Payment and Carer Allowance. To receive these, both the carer and the person being cared for need to meet eligibility criteria.

First, both must have been Australian residents for two years and must be living here for the duration of the benefit.

To claim the Carer Payment, you must be providing uninterrupted care in the home of the person who has a severe disability or illness, or is frail and aged. This payment is subject to income and assets tests, and is only available to those who are prevented from earning a wage because of their carer duties. The income of the person receiving the care is also assessed and will determine whether a payment is made.

The top-up Carer Allowance, on the other hand, is not means-tested.

For both payments, the person receiving the care must score highly on the Adult Disability Assessment Tool  (ADAT). This form comprises two questionnaires that measure the amount of help the care receiver needs to perform basic activities. These can relate to mobility, communication, hygiene, eating and assistance with tasks requiring cognitive use.

Questions are also asked about the care receiver’s emotional state, behaviour and special  needs.

In the case of an illness, unless it is terminal, the person requiring care is expected to be sick for at least another six months for their carer to receive a Carer Payment, or a year for the Carer Allowance.

To claim the allowance, the care can be provided in the ill or disabled person’s home, the carer’s home or in a hospital.

A medical report on the carer’s health status must accompany an application for the Carer Payment.

If you both qualify and are already receiving a Centrelink payment or other income, the allowance will be added to it.

Do you have a carer, and are they paid? What is your relationship with your carer?



    To make a comment, please register or login
    17th Oct 2017
    Great payment. My widowed sister moved in with Dad and took good care of him before he passed. The money was double Newstart. Peace of mind for everyone and he was able to remain in his own home. Dad did not need personal care, just cooking, housework, taking him to all his appointments and company. He was fine on his own on the weekends when she went home.
    17th Oct 2017
    I did not realize it was double Newstart allowance, I hope I can look after my mum when she needs it, at 80 she is still fit and healthy and fiercely independent.
    17th Oct 2017
    I am interested to hear how others have got the carers payment for caring for aged parents, at what point can it be available, I would prefer this than put my mum in aged care in the future.
    Nan Norma
    6th Nov 2017
    If you are already receiving a pension you can apply for an carers allowance if you are caring for your mother. If you have to give up work because your mother needs a full time carer, you can apply for a carer payment and an allowance.
    6th Nov 2017
    Yes but how do they decide on when you can apply as in at what point does a person qualify for needing a carer. My mum is 81 soon and getting tired but still does most things herself, but I do worry about her future living alone and she has a slight heart problem taking warfin.

    Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free

    • Receive our daily enewsletter
    • Enter competitions
    • Comment on articles