Carer relationship determines size of payment

Font Size:

Not all Centrelink carer payments are created equal. The type of relationship the carer has with the person they are caring for will determine the size of the payment.

If your spouse is your carer, the amount of money he or she can claim will depend on their income and to what extent they have had to give up work in order to care for you.

There are two main benefits available to people who have a carer arrangement: Carer Payment and Carer Allowance. To receive these, both the carer and the person being cared for need to meet eligibility criteria.

First, both must have been Australian residents for two years and must be living here for the duration of the benefit.

To claim the Carer Payment, you must be providing uninterrupted care in the home of the person who has a severe disability or illness, or is frail and aged. This payment is subject to income and assets tests, and is only available to those who are prevented from earning a wage because of their carer duties. The income of the person receiving the care is also assessed and will determine whether a payment is made.

The top-up Carer Allowance, on the other hand, is not means-tested.

For both payments, the person receiving the care must score highly on the Adult Disability Assessment Tool  (ADAT). This form comprises two questionnaires that measure the amount of help the care receiver needs to perform basic activities. These can relate to mobility, communication, hygiene, eating and assistance with tasks requiring cognitive use.

Questions are also asked about the care receiver’s emotional state, behaviour and special  needs.

In the case of an illness, unless it is terminal, the person requiring care is expected to be sick for at least another six months for their carer to receive a Carer Payment, or a year for the Carer Allowance.

To claim the allowance, the care can be provided in the ill or disabled person’s home, the carer’s home or in a hospital.

A medical report on the carer’s health status must accompany an application for the Carer Payment.

If you both qualify and are already receiving a Centrelink payment or other income, the allowance will be added to it.

Do you have a carer, and are they paid? What is your relationship with your carer?


Disability Support Pension or Carer’s Payment?

Which payment is more financially supportive?

Will you get a pension payment?

Xenophon's deal to pass company tax legislation is parochial and short term.

Written by Olga Galacho


Sign-up to the YourLifeChoices Enewsletter

continue reading

Superannuation News

Super fund recovery steps up pace

Long-term trends such as the digitisation or economies and work automation, which have been sped up by the COVID-19 pandemic,...

Finance News

Financial advisers lobby for permanent reduction in regulation

The financial services sector wants consumer protection laws watered down, claiming they are pushing the cost of financial advice beyond...

Legal & General

Is there a safe way to block estranged child from will?

Can Angie block an estranged daughter from her will without consigning her other children to a drawn-out challenge after her...


How to stop gas pain

Flatulence, commonly referred to as 'farting', is caused by gas in the bowel. Ordinarily, the intestines produce between 500 and...


Crumbed Chicken Three Ways

Discover how to make crumbed chicken with three different toppings, so you’re never short of a recipe again. Ingredients Main...


Over 50s to receive COVID jab earlier than expected

Australians over the age of 50 could soon receive the AstraZeneca vaccine earlier than expected after the states and territories agreed...


Signs you order too much stuff online

Online shopping can be a dangerous hobby. A few absent-minded clicks on a lazy Sunday morning can empty your bank...

Food and Recipes

Vegetarian Biryani with a twist

Created by Iraqi chef Dhuha from Eat Offbeat, the New York catering company that employs refugees who have resettled in...