Pancakes and weekends go together perfectly, but what if there was a way to make them healthier? Jamie Oliver packs these ones with spinach to give them a vibrant green colour – and a bit more nutritional value.
Serve them with a fried egg on top for an extra-special bonus.
– 1 ripe avocado
– 350g ripe mixed-colour cherry tomatoes
– 100g baby spinach
– 3 spring onions
– 1/2 a bunch of fresh coriander (15g)
– 1 lime (juiced – plus more wedges for serving, if you like)
– Extra virgin olive oil
– 1 large egg
– 1 mug of self-raising flour
– 1 mug of semi-skimmed milk
– Olive oil
– 300g cottage cheese
– Hot chilli sauce
– Sea salt and black pepper
1. Halve, destone, peel and finely slice the avocado and quarter the tomatoes, then place in a salad bowl with a quarter of the spinach. Trim, finely slice and add the spring onions, pick the coriander leaves and add them to the bowl, then squeeze over the lime juice. Drizzle with one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, season to perfection with sea salt and black pepper, toss to coat and put aside.
2. Crack the egg into a blender, add the flour, milk, remaining spinach and a pinch of salt and pepper, then blitz until smooth. Place a large non-stick frying pan on medium heat, rub the pan with a little olive oil, then pour in a thin layer of batter, swirling it up and around the edges. Cook on one side only for two minutes, or until lightly golden, then stack up on a serving plate and repeat.
3. Top each pancake with dollops of cottage cheese, the avocado salad, and a few good shakes of chilli sauce. Really nice served with extra lime wedges for squeezing over, and a fried egg on top, if you fancy.
Nutritional value per serving:
– Energy 331kcal
– Carbs 42.3g
– Fat 13.3g
– Sugars 6.3g
– Sat Fat 4g
– Salt 1.2g
– Protein 13.5g
– Fibre 3g
Veg by Jamie Oliver, photography by David Loftus and Paul Stuart, is published by Penguin Random House and available at Kmart for $24.
What are your favourite pancake toppings?
– With PA
If you enjoy our content, don’t keep it to yourself. Share our free eNews with your friends and encourage them to sign up.