Seven free apps and tips to help prevent or reduce digital eyestrain.
Many people are required to stare at a computer screen for several hours a day as part of their occupation. Others spend a lot of time each day looking at mobile phone, tablet or television screens for long periods. As a result, eyestrain is becoming an increasingly common issue, which may result in long-term damage to your vision, or cause sore eyes and headaches in the short term.
Sore eyes are your body's way of telling you that you need a break from looking at a screen. Following these tips should help to minimize the effects of digital eyestrain:
- use the 20/20/20 rule – take a 20-second break every 20 minutes and look at something 20 feet away
- dim the amount of overhead and surrounding light
- adjust your screen to be directly in front of your face and slightly below eye level
- maintain some distance between yourself and your screen. If you are sitting in front of a computer, you should be able to extend your arm until your palm hits the screen
- enlarge your screen text for easier viewing
- clean your screen in order to minimize glare
- staring at digital screens can lead to dry eyes, so it’s important to blink regularly
- talk to your eye doctor about lenses with an anti-reflective coating which can help reduce the glare from digital screens.
For those of you who are not too good at keeping eye-health checklists or sticking to schedules, click NEXT for seven free apps which may help to prevent or reduce eyestrain.
Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free
- Receive our daily enewsletter
- Enter competitions
- Comment on articles