When do you need to inform Centrelink about travel plans?

Clayton receives the DSP and wants to know the rules around overseas travel.

When do you need to inform Centrelink about travel plans?

Clayton receives the disability support pension and wants to know the rules around overseas travel.


Q. Clayton
I know when you are on the disability support pension, you are allowed 28 days overseas travel in any 12-month period, but my question is: do people have to inform Centrelink whenever they go overseas, even if it is under 28 days in any 12-month period? I believe immigration informs Centrelink of anyone on welfare going overseas anyway.

A. You are correct, the Immigration Department will advise Centrelink when you leave and return to Australia, so you do not need to inform it of any travel plans that fall under the 28 days in 12 months rule.

If you have reached your age pension eligibility age, it may be beneficial to switch to the Age Pension as then you will be able to travel overseas for longer if required, and you won’t need to inform Centrelink of any travel plans under six weeks.

The easiest way to tell Centrelink about your travel plans is using your Centrelink online account through the myGov portal.

If you are uncomfortable using the online portal, you can visit a Centrelink service centre or call the Older Australians line on 132 300.

If you haven’t already, register for an online account through myGov before you leave Australia. This will allow you to access your letters and other services online while you are away.

If you enjoy our content, don’t keep it to yourself. Share our free eNews with your friends and encourage them to sign up.


    Disclaimer: All content on YourLifeChoices website is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It has been prepared with due care but no guarantees are provided for the ongoing accuracy or relevance. Before making a decision based on this information, you should consider its appropriateness in regard to your own circumstances. You should seek professional advice from a financial planner, lawyer or tax agent in relation to any aspects that affect your financial and legal circumstances.


    To make a comment, please register or login
    11th Oct 2019
    When on DSP you can not use the online system to inform centrelink, it wont let you; you have to call them. Which can be a pain as it can take a wait to get though.
    I've been OS evey year fir the last 4yrs and under 28 days or over i have had to phone centrelink. The online system won't let you out holiday dates in. Your payment gets suspended after 28 days and reinstated as soon as you re-enter Australia. Their is so much wrong information being passed around by people that don't understand the system.
    11th Oct 2019
    I would suggest you go to the Centrelink office if possible and give a letter and have it receipted date stamp etc , as my experience was not good , when I returned from holiday, all benefits cancelled ! Fortunately I had my receipted letter ,
    11th Oct 2019
    Office is a good option might not have to wait.

    11th Oct 2019
    I know someone that went on a short holiday to Bali on NSA and their payments weren't cut off. The immigration department couldn't have reported the matter to Centrelink.
    11th Oct 2019
    They know but must have been within the rules.
    11th Oct 2019
    If you have gone without and saved for many many years to take the trip of a lifetime, no matter how long for, it’s nothing but communism to have to report like a little baby. Australians are weak how they let these governments and departments control what you can and can’t do.
    11th Oct 2019
    That is so true, Mootnell, it’s demeaning, we’re being treated like half wits. Who actually makes these rules?
    11th Oct 2019
    And yet people still vote Labor, i.e., communism, sheesh, what is wrong with seemingly intelligent people?
    11th Oct 2019
    Roy its liberals that are in power, if you haven't notice. They changed the rule to 28days and made you report when you are OS on holidays. Der.
    11th Oct 2019
    On the OAP you can have a trip for a period of 6 weeks abroad without reporting, if you qualify for the 35 years of residency you suffer no deduction. Should I go for 8 weeks I will visit the office with the dates and the receptionist will key these into their tablet. My pension card will be cancelled after 6 weeks and a new one issued as soon as I am back. That's the way it was earlier this year
    11th Oct 2019
    A pension is not welfare.

    Now is the season for discontent, so do something about it!
    It is time to kill off this insane hugely expensive pensioner whacking bureaucracy.

    It is time for all of us (yes that means you) to rant at our MPs and Senators daily to take action for human decency and a huge stress reduction for pensioners

    Most economist say we will save taxpayers money by dropping asset testing because of the massive overheads cost in running Centrelink and the 10,000 conflicting rules.

    Hiring more Centrelink staff will only increase taxpayer’s costs for processing the creeping insane red tape monster system politicians and well paid bureaucrats have created.

    Help scrap it now. Become a hero.

    Even the UK and poorer New Zealand has a NO ASSET pension so it is cheaper and user friendly.

    Why worry that few million$ earners get it too. That is peanuts to them, not enough for a good vintage champagne.

    Do retired and retiring people really look forward and want 100++ visits to/from Centrelink and be part of 3 million waiting queues and lost calls?

    We all (that means you) need to tell our MP and senators every day that these criminal asset tests for a pension must be dropped now.

    Does your MP really like being part of the system that allows this indirect abuse of the elderly?

    This abuse is actually sponsored by our government and forced down to Centrelink and borders on a criminal act.

    Why do MPs normally compassionate persons let this Centrelink abuse happen at taxpayers’ expense?
    11th Oct 2019
    Hmmm i think your on the wrong conversation this is about travel overseas and notifing centrelink.
    11th Oct 2019
    Your technically right Ozrog but I agree with Graycomputing. Cos the issue he raises needs to be raised as often as possible and highlighted to the pollies often plus pushed hard as possible !!
    11th Oct 2019
    johnp true.
    11th Oct 2019
    Actually, has anyone heard what Pauline Hanson is doing for pensioners? I seem to remember she went on the campaign trail proposing $150.00 a fortnight pension raise.

    Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free

    • Receive our daily enewsletter
    • Enter competitions
    • Comment on articles