Which payment is best?

Jock is having trouble around the home and wonders if he qualifies for a special pension.


Q. Jock
I would appreciate it if you could advise me if I would be entitled to receive a disability payment. I am 77 years of age and about to receive my first fortnightly part-pension of $356.05.

I am single and own my home. My assets include an SMSF amount of $405,000 and provides an income of $888 per fortnight.

Due to a severe back injury I require assistance to complete household chores such as cleaning of floors, dusting, etc.

A. Essentially, the payment rates are the same for both the Age Pension and the Disability Support Pension (DSP) and they are assessed the same way under the income and assets test, although a medical assessment is required to become eligible for the DSP.

However, the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) Program provides a range of home care services that may be able to help in your situation. These services can enable older Australians to live independently in their own homes for as long as possible.

CSHP services include:

  • home help ­– cooking, cleaning, washing and ironing
  • home modifications and maintenance
  • social support – such as banking and transport
  • food services – Meals on Wheels, help with shopping, centre-based meals
  • personal care – help with bathing and dressing
  • community respite – to give carers a break or for people living alone.
  • health services – such as home and community nursing, physiotherapy and podiatry.


You may be required to pay a small fee for the services you access, depending on the fees set by the service providers. You can enquire about CHSP services through myagedcare.gov.au and arrange for a Regional Assessment Service (RAS) assessment to determine your suitability.  

If you have a Centrelink question, please send it to newsletters@yourlifechoices.com.au and we’ll do our best to answer it for you.

Related articles:

Centrelink Q&A: Living overseas
Age Pension or Newstart increase?
Is Tina being short-changed?

Disclaimer: All content on YourLifeChoices website is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It has been prepared with due care but no guarantees are provided for ongoing accuracy or relevance. Before making a decision based on this information, you should consider its appropriateness in regard to your own circumstances. You should seek professional advice from a Centrelink Financial Information Services officer, financial planner, lawyer or tax agent in relation to any aspects that affect your financial and legal circumstances.

Written by Ben Hocking

Ben Hocking is a skilled writer and editor with interests and expertise in politics, government, Centrelink, finance, health, retirement income, superannuation, Wordle and sports.

Leave a Reply

What drives Stephanie Alexander?

Are generic drugs safe?