HomeCentrelink – Services AustraliaWhen is super treated differently?

When is super treated differently?

Marie and her husband are both at retirement age but haven’t touched their super yet, does that mean it is treated differently?


Q. Marie
My husband and I are both at retiring age. My husband, 66, is still working full-time and I am 68 and not working. I want to know that if our super is still in the accumulative phase and not in pension-based super, is this assessed the same way by Centrelink? Is the full balance of our super accounts deemed the same as the savings accounts.

A. When you reach Age Pension age, Centrelink counts your superannuation in the assets test and in the income test, using deeming rules. The same rules apply to your husband and his super, even though he is not receiving a Centrelink payment.

However, if you can’t access your superannuation investment you may be able to have it exempted from the income and assets tests.

For Centrelink assets test purposes, superannuation assets include accumulation accounts, account-based pensions, transition to retirement pensions, annuity income streams, term allocated pensions, etc.

The Centrelink assets test assessment of superannuation is based on the value of the account on any given day, or a reducing value, as is the case with annuity income streams.

A Centrelink assessment of an accumulation account is based on the current value under the assets test.

If you enjoy our content, don’t keep it to yourself. Share our free eNews with your friends and encourage them to sign up.

Related articles:
‘Why was my pension cut?’
Terry’s downsizing dilemma
Jack’s deeming rate dilemma

Disclaimer: All content on YourLifeChoices website is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It has been prepared with due care but no guarantees are provided for the ongoing accuracy or relevance. Before making a decision based on this information, you should consider its appropriateness in regard to your own circumstances. You should seek professional advice from a financial planner, lawyer or tax agent in relation to any aspects that affect your financial and legal circumstances.

Ben Hocking
Ben Hocking
Ben Hocking is a skilled writer and editor with interests and expertise in politics, government, Centrelink, finance, health, retirement income, superannuation, Wordle and sports.
- Our Partners -


- Advertisment -


- Advertisment -

Log In

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.