What does home insurance cover?

Font Size:

January is an exciting time in Australia, but for parts of the country they do have to worry about tropical storms or bushfires – or worse, both.

When those events occur, and they are certainly happening more frequently due to climate change, people face that scary moment of truth when they look for their home insurance policy to see what it covers.

Often this is far too late.

When you are buying your home insurance, price is important, but it isn’t everything; you need to make sure you know what is (and isn’t) covered by different policies, before choosing the one that is right for you.

The basics
Home insurance covers the cost of repairing or replacing your house when something goes wrong, covering the building itself and the fixtures (for example, plumbing and built-in cabinets).

It can also cover the legal costs if someone is injured on your property.

Often home insurance is bundled with contents insurance, which covers personal belongings and furniture.

There are two main types of home insurance – sum-insured cover and total replacement cover.

Sum-insured cover means you are insured for an estimate of how much it would cost to rebuild your home if it was totally destroyed.

Total replacement cover means that you are covered for what it would cost to repair or rebuild your home to the same standard.

You are less likely to be underinsured with total replacement cover, however not all insurers offer this option, and it is often more expensive.

Some insurers offer a ‘safety net’, which means they will add up to 30 per cent to your sum-insured amount in the event you home is totally destroyed, so it can be worth checking if this option is available.

Home insurance covers loss and damage caused by insured events, which can include fire, flood, storm, theft and vandalism.

This is one of the most important things to check before purchasing an insurance policy. Certain policies will not cover for some events, which can include damage caused by the sea, by smoke, landslides or power failures.

All insurers cover storm and cyclone damage to your property, says CHOICE home insurance expert Daniel Graham. But not all policies cover loss or damage caused by a storm surge, flood, or action of the sea.

CHOICE explains that while there is a standard definition of a flood, there is no such definition for a storm, with different insurance companies having different interpretations.

People who live in northern Australia will pay more for their premiums because of the higher likelihood of storms and cyclones, too.

Adjusting your excess
Most insurers allow you to adjust your excess. This may seem like an attractive option, but you should weigh up the difference between having a low excess with a higher premium and the ramifications of the reverse situation before making a decision.

You can make significant savings on your premiums by increasing your excess.

When selecting a home insurance policy, it is incredibly important to read all the fine print of your product disclosure statement as there can be no worse feeling than realising that you are not covered for an event when it is too late to do something about it.

Have you ever been caught out by home insurance?


The postcodes with Australia's least affordable insurance

Households in 12 per cent of Australian postcodes may face home insurance premium problems.

Older Aussies with health insurance are being hit by rising gap fees

Out-of-pocket gap fees are up again and it's older Aussies who are losing out.

Why your income could be at risk if you’re underinsured

How much do you really know about income protection insurance?

Written by Ben


Sign-up to the YourLifeChoices Enewsletter

continue reading


Are over 50s being 'treated as second-class citizens' on vaccine?

YourLifeChoices has received numerous queries from members asking why over 50s "are forced to use the AstraZeneca vaccine and not...

Finance News

Get set to tighten your belt with series of price hikes forecast

Get set to tighten the belt in coming months with news that retailers are set to increase their prices across...


Do you get the winter blues? Here are the SAD symptoms to look out for

I think everybody can say they've felt tempted to stay curled up on the couch with a mug of something...

Mental Health

Do you get the winter blues? Here are the SAD symptoms to look out for

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that's tied to the change of seasons. SAD starts and ends...

Age Pension

Does living in a granny flat, caravan or boat affect your pension?

I'm often asked about how different living arrangements can affect your Age Pension. Let's look at some of these different...


How to boost your gut health and immune system this winter

A healthy gut is key for overall health, and affects so much more than just our digestion. With links to...


Things people who grew up in the '70s will remember

If your childhood or teen years happened to fall in the 1970s, you probably have a lot of fond memories...

Food and Recipes

The favourites that send food lovers pie-eyed

Pies, pies, pies. For some of us it's the flaky pastry and gooey filling. For others, it's the firm shortcrust...