Our Eggplant Parmesan Casserole is a simpler and much less oily take on the classic eggplant parmigiana. Not only will your tastebuds thank you for it, but your hips will too.
Time: 60 minutes
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- olive oil, as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon each oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- sea salt, to taste
- 2–3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 180°C. In a bowl, coat the eggplant with balsamic vinegar, one tablespoon of olive oil and the seasonings. Spread the eggplant mixture onto a lined baking tray and bake for 20 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese, then set aside.
Grease a ramekin with olive oil and place in half the eggplant. Top with half the bread crumb mixture, half the pasta sauce and half the mozzarella cheese. Repeat and then season to taste.
Bake for 15 minutes, until the cheese melts. Serve with a garden salad and enjoy.