With very few ingredients and little preparation you can make our Potato and Asparagus Bake for dinner or as a sumptuous side dish.
1 large potato, cooked and sliced
3 spring onions, chopped
1 x 225g can asparagus cuts, drained but reserve the juice
2 eggs, hard boiled and halved
1/2 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup grated cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flaked almonds, tossed in salt and pepper
- Grease a casserole dish and preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Arrange the potato, spring onions, asparagus and eggs in layers.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and cook for one minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the milk until smooth.
- Bring to the boil and cook for one minute stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in half the cheese, salt and the juice from the asparagus.
- Pour over the layered ingredients in the casserole dish.
- Top with the remaining cheese and sprinkle with the almonds.
- Bake for 20 minutes until heated through and the cheese has melted.