Our Simple Spiced Eggplant is great on its own, or pair with your favourite cut of meat for a quick and easy yet tasty dinner.
Time: 45 minutes
- 1 eggplant, cut into eight 1cm slices
- 250g tinned tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- oil, for frying
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- a small handful coriander, chopped
Place the eggplant slices in a colander, and sprinkle them with salt. Leave for 30 minutes. Rinse slices and squeeze out any excess water. Pat dry with paper towel.
Put tomatoes in a large bowl and mix in the onion, ginger, garlic and chilli.
Using a deep, heavy-based frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add eggplant slices in a single layer and cook over medium heat until browned on both sides. Place them on paper towels to get rid of excess oil. Cook the remaining slices in batches, replenishing oil in pan as needed. Set aside.
Heat oil in the frying pan and add the spices, stirring until fragrant. Add in the tomato mixture and cook for five minutes, stirring until mixture thickens. Gently place eggplant back into the frying pan, cover and cook on low for about 15 minutes. Season with salt to taste and finish with coriander.