Am I the only person who enjoyed Cadbury’s Vegemite Dairy Milk bar?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Gary Andrews
      Keymaster

Please help me out here. Many years ago, when I first visited my then-fiance’s family in Australia, Cadbury was selling a Dairy Milk-Vegemite slab of chocolate.

Because a) I’m an idiot and; b) I’m a sucker for strange junk food flavours (I once recorded an entire episode of a sports podcast testing out World Cup themed crisp flavours) I took several slabs back to the UK to share around the office.

All my colleagues rushed to the snack table before proceeding to make varying degrees of facial contortions. “Australia has ruined chocolate,” one colleague decried. Even our compliance and legal team, who had a reputation for eating almost anything, wouldn’t touch it. I, on the other hand, thought it tasted like a more bitter salted caramel and quite liked it. But then I also put Guinness in my chocolate brownie recipe, so what do I know?

However… I’ve yet to find a single person who can remember this briefly lived combination. And even a good decade ago, I appeared to be the only person who actually quite liked the taste.

With that in mind, I have two questions:
      1. Am I hallucinating?
      2. Are my tastebuds broken?

Star Trekker
      Participant

I liked it as well. But only 2 squares at a time.

Marten
      Participant

Vegemite is a typical Australian product. As a European I certainly never acquired a taste for it; having lived in Australia for some years I have offered it to relatives visiting from overseas and without exception it was not their choice to spread it on their sandwiches or in any other form. Whenever I visited Europe, I have never come across Vegemite being readily available. In particular I find it too salty. Yet I believe Australians generally enjoy the product.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[snax_content]

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.