Are some charities’ tactics downright annoying?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Janelle Ward

Are you comfortable with rounding up your weekly supermarket bill by a few cents to support a well-known charity?

We know that COVID and the demise of cash payments have had a big impact on charities (and buskers!) but is the strategy at the checkout just that bit too annoying?

A new report finds that asking customers to support a cause when they pay can heighten their anxiety rather than make them feel good about making a donation. And that’s a problem for charity campaigns.

Marketing academics writing for the Conversation said: “We interviewed 60 shoppers, asking them to describe what they felt when they were asked to donate while ringing up their purchases at a variety of retailers based on their recollections of that interaction. About 40 per cent of the words that these customers used expressed negative feelings associated with anxiety such as ‘pressured’, ‘annoyed’ and ‘concerned about being judged’. Another 7 per cent of the words conveyed other negative sentiments, including ‘guilty’ or ‘bad’. The rest were neutral, such as ‘indifferent’.”

What’s your reaction? Would you prefer not to be asked so directly?

Tood
      Participant

annoyed, I donate to charities of my choice

Jan Fisher
      Keymaster

The ones that irritate me are charity campaigns for farmers. If supermarkets paid their suppliers better they wouldn’t need charity.
      And don’t forget these big companies any money you donate for tax deductions. You are better off donating the money yourself and keeping the tax deduction yourself.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.