Best, cheapest and worst paper towels

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Janelle Ward

I know they’re not the best for the environment and I should be using cloth wipers that I wash and re-use, but I love paper towels.
      So which are the best and, more importantly, which are the cheapest, according to consumer advocate CHOICE?

Best performing paper towels
      Viva Rinse & Re-use Towel: 92%
      Coles Ultra: 79%
      iCare Wipex: 77%
      Kleenex Viva: 77%

Cheapest paper towels (depending on weekly specials)
      CHOICE says one of the best ways to keep costs down when shopping is to keep an eye on unit pricing – how much something costs per 100g or, in the case of paper towels, per 100 sheets.
      Woolworths Strike Pro Double Length: $1.01/100 sheets – 67%
      Woolworths Strike: $1.06/100 sheets – 67%
      Coles Paper Towels: $1.19/100 sheets – 66%
      iCare Wipex Pick a Size: $1.33/100 sheets – 77%, recommended
      Aldi Confidence Absorbit: $1.41/100 sheets – 66%
      iCare Wipex: $1.46/100 sheets – 77%, recommended
      CHOICE says: “You might save money by opting for house-brand paper towels from Coles, Woolies and Aldi, but unfortunately none of them were much chop in our tests, so we suggest giving them a miss even if you’re on a budget.”
      AND THE NO. 1: “If you’re looking for the best combination of affordability and performance, the iCare Wipex paper towels are the best way to go – they’re one of the cheapest we tested, and they’re recommended by our experts.”

Worst performing paper towels
      How We Roll Co 100% Sustainable Bamboo Paper Towel: 48%
      Oobamboo Bamboo Kitchen Towel: 59%
      Handee Ultra: 60% (also available in prints and double length)
      Coles 100% Recycled Paper Towels: 62%
      Naturale 100% Recycled Paper Towel: 65%
      Coles Paper Towels: 66%
      Aldi Confidence Absorbit: 66%
      Woolworths Strike: 67%
      Space White Premium Bamboo Paper Towels: 67%
      CHOICE says: “Unfortunately, many of the worst performers in our tests were eco-friendly products, with the two lowest scorers made from bamboo. While they may help to clean up the planet, they’re not much good for cleaning up your kitchen. They’re also quite expensive, coming in at $2.71/100 sheets and $3.56/100 sheets.”
      See the full testing results here.

Mandy Hall
      Participant

Curious as to why Quilton wasn’t tested. Personally I think it’s the best!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.