Brisbane Olympics, the forgotten games

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Jan Fisher
      Keymaster

Is anyone else completely underwhelmed by the prospect of the Olympics in Brisbane?

I remember the excitement of the Sydney Olympics, the whole country was looking forward to it, but with Brisbane, I have to remind myself it’s still happening.

This week there was some controversy over upgrading the main venue, after a recommendation for a new main arena was also knocked back. One thing I know about the Olympics is you need a pretty swish main arena, or you might as well just forget about it.

Is that what Brisbane is doing? Setting us up for an announcement it’s all off, a la Victoria and the Commonwealth Games?

I’m actually okay with that. The cost is ridiculous and really only brings a few weeks of publicity.

Do you think the Brisbane games should go ahead? Do you even care?

Mocha
      Participant

I’m completely underwhelmed, this is the OG that no one else wanted. Instead of just using Brisbane it should be over the state to put in infastructure in regional centres, bring in more tourism, employment, etc.. The government have procrastinated for so long about stadiums, it is really pushing the boat to get venues settled on, work started and finished. There are so many other areas this money could be used on instead of the Olympic Games. Or the other way to run it is make it a boutique games, smaller venues, smaller amounts of people – but, oh wait, not enough money to help recoupe some small amount of the money that will be poured into the games.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.