Christmas cards – yes or no?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Andrew Gigacz
      Participant

My dear old Mum Evelyn was a generous soul who always put the needs and wants of others ahead of her own. This began at a very young age. As the eldest of 10 children to somewhat dysfunctional parents (her dad – a World War I veteran – may have had PTSD and her mum most likely suffered from severe depression), she more or less brought up her nine younger siblings.

Then Mum had six kids of her own, devoting every ounce of her love and attention to us all. The six of us were born within a 10-year span, so Mum had precious few hours of free time. And when she did, she spent them helping – or at least thinking – of others.

Around about this time each year, her thoughtfulness revealed itself in another way – through Christmas cards. When your life is as busy as hers was, nobody begrudges receiving a fairly generic Christmas card from you with a simple written line or two of greeting inside.

Regardless, Mum never went down that path. I can remember clearly how much effort she put into each and every card she sent. And it wasn’t just a few, it was dozens.

Not only would Mum spending a lot of time putting carefully chosen words to paper on the inside of those cards, but she would also think very carefully – almost agonise – over the choice of card for each recipient. “Do you think Mrs Jones would like this card better? Or this design?”

“Mum,” I’d respond, “they’re hardly likely to notice.” I didn’t intend that answer to be mean in any way. I just wanted Mum to not have to stay up until all hours getting these cards done.
      In any case, my response would fall on deaf ears. Mum was far too thoughtful a person to be swayed by my rather callous words.

Mum kept doing this until she couldn’t. In one of her final years I recall her asking me for help to finish what she had written in a card. What she had written was barely legible. It broke my heart. And it reinforced in my mind just what a special person she was.

I did go through a ‘Mum-like’ period in my early adult years, even to the point where I designed and created my own cards. But that was before I had a family of my own. Having two kids was enough to derail my Christmas card creativity – let alone six!

I haven’t sent Christmas cards for years, but now that I recall what Mum did each year, I feel guilty about that. Maybe it’s time to revert to an old tradition.

Are you still a Christmas card sender? Or is that a tradition that’s waned in your circle of family and friends?

Diana Hands
      Participant

I still make & send my own Christmas cards. Apart from the joy of doing this, it is a way of keeping in touch with friends and family interstate and overseas. With some, I also include a brief letter. I love to receive these in return. It’s great to sit over a coffee with a letter or two from friends. BTW Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Diane Legros
      Participant

I too send cards every year to family, friends and workmates, here and overseas. I get a sense of satisfaction. Unlike Diana Hands I buy my cards as I am not a very arty person. But I do get a few hand made cards and that always brightens my day.

Merry Christmas to everyone

annie
      Participant

I stopped sending cards years ago. After Christmas I ended up tossing them out, which to me is waste of money and resources plus creating unnecessary waste. I started a tradition years ago with a friend. She makes a card, usually something I can hang on my Christmas tree and I do the same for her. Would be interesting to know just how much we spend on something we throw out.

Taragosun
        Participant

Annie I still send and receive Christmas cards. It is a nice way of keeping in contact with people whom we don’t see regularly.
        The cards that I receive I cut the pictures from and use them as tags on Christmas presents.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.