Common household items could soon attract $11,000 fine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Brad Lockyer
      Keymaster

New South Wales residents could soon be slugged with fines of up to $11,000 for supplying or even just carrying certain single-use plastic items.

In effect from 1 November, the NSW government says the new rules will hopefully stop some 2.7 million pieces of plastic litter entering waterways.

The list of banned single-use plastic items includes straws, stirrers, cutlery, plates and bowls.

Individuals supplying, selling or giving away any of the banned items will be slapped with a maximum court penalty of 100 units, equivalent to $11,000, while businesses supplying banned items could receive up to 500 units ($55,000).

Do you think these fines are fair?

Auction Girl
      Participant

While I find the amounts stunning if that’s what it will take to get people to stop using SINGLE use plastic rubbish then go for it.

David Ryder
      Participant

As this stuff is no longer being sold I doubt there would still be much of it around in November. 

ronloby
      Participant

People have been warned about single-use plastic items before now so it will be their fault if they get stung. 

clancambo
      Participant

Typical power hungry government move!
      What happens if I find a straw in my cupboard and use it?? Load of crap!

Tood
        Participant

totally agree, total overkill

Patricia Willans
      Participant

So if people do have these in the house – how can they dispose of them??  our article does not cover that!

tiggr55

it will be interesting to see who will be going through our rubbish to find these items, can’t imagine any of the pollies doing it

So what are the gov. going to do about single use plastic/cellophane packaging on nearly all items now sold in a lot of stores? Who cops the fine the manufacturer, retailer or buyer?

Sophie

Not a problem…just rip the plastic/cellophane off and hand it back to the cashier!

Denny
      Participant

I have just been into the butcher to stock up on meat for the freezer and each lot of items was contained in a hard plastic container so what happens with these? I was also stunned as well by the prices.

Sophie

“New South Wales residents could soon be slugged with fines of up to $11,000 for supplying or even just carrying certain single-use plastic items.”

Brad… this is incorrect information!

I have just received confirmation that this law applies only to: manufacturers; producers; businesses or people buying or selling plastic items.

If a resident already has some plastic knives, forks etc in their house and even if they wish to carry a plastic cutlery set out with them in their handbag for instance, when they go out for a snack…they will not be penalised. As long as they take it back home with them and reuse or dispose of carefully.

Suze
      Participant

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.