Credit card changes have customers threatening to ‘jump ship’

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Brad Lockyer
      Keymaster

Credit card customers at National Australia Bank (NAB) are threatening to “jump ship” after changes to their rewards points program, Yahoo! Finance is reporting.

NAB customers will no longer be able to earn rewards points when they pay bills using BPAY. The change is effective from 18 April – or this Thursday.

There also changes to NAB’s Rewards Platinum and Classic credit cards. It has severed ties with retailers such as Myer and Bunnings and customers will no longer earn points by shopping there. Instead, NAB says it is offsetting the loss of points by offering more points from supermarket purchases.

The move has some NAB customers up in arms, threatening to take their business elsewhere. The changes do bring NAB into line with other major credit card providers, with only ANZ still offering rewards points for BPAY transactions.

“What happened to putting the customer first?,” one NAB customer told Yahoo! Finance.

“With other little changes that have been implemented, it seems the focus may be on enhancing the returns the bank makes on each product rather than increasing the value proposition for customers.”

Will this make you switch away from NAB? Do rewards points even matter to you when choosing a credit card?

AnnMelling
      Participant

I only got a NAB credit card years ago (didn’t have an annual charge then either) for the extra Flybuy points. I don’t have a back account with the NAB – so yes I will be considering if to close the credit card or not.

[email protected]
      Participant

Yes NAB sent me a letter which opened with “AS WE CONTINUE TO IMPROVE YOUR BANKING EXPERIENCE” you will not be able to earn frequent flyer points on your NAB Platinum credit card when you use B PAY. I tried three times to get a NAB bank person to explain to me how my banking experience with NAB was being improved with the loss of the capacity of my card to earn frequent flyer points. You guessed it, just a lot of polly gobble. The letter is clearly misleading. But then we must remember that “NAB IS MORE THAN MONEY”, they tell us often enough.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.